Connect and Create this Autumn with Distance Creates… Helium’s home-based arts programme for 6-8 year olds with long term health conditions
Who doesn’t love getting something in the post?! Over the course of this six week programme, your child will receive activities that encourage creativity and connect participants with other children across the country who have similar life experiences. From playing a simple drawing game of “Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes” to sending hidden messages; these fun activities will be the highlight of your post drop every week! We’ll also send videos to help you explore creative techniques and will offer creative tips and tricks in our step-by-step guide booklets for parents/guardians and children.
Date, Time & Delivery:
- Saturday 12 September – Saturday 17 October
- Each week creative and fun activities will land in your inbox on Saturday mornings.
- Also expect surprise postal drops from Artist Chelsea as well as creative exchanges with participants through our Postal Relay (e.g. Child A completes the first part of the activity and posts it to Child B; Child B completes the second part and posts it to Child C; and so forth until the activity is complete and the artwork is posted back to Artist Chelsea).
- On Saturday 19 September and Saturday 17 October, the whole family is invited to join online sharings with Artist Chelsea. A chance to meet other children on the programme and have some fun! Further details and session times will be confirmed soon.
Important Information for Parent/Guardian:
- The programme is free of charge.
- It is facilitated by a trained and experienced artist.
- Participants will be aged between 6-8 years old with different long-term health conditions, though with similar life experiences.
- Participants will receive materials and artwork-in-progress by the artist as well as other participants through the post. Your home address will be passed to one other family to facilitate the Post Pal Relay with your permission.
- For families who elect to take part in the Post Pal Relay, we ask that you commit to participating in a timely manner by completing and posting your child’s artwork to their Post Pal the same week it is received to ensure each child has the opportunity to enjoy this art-making exchange to the fullest extent.
- Activities are age appropriate, however, it is important that parents/guardians remain in close proximity to their child when their child is undertaking activities.
What to expect?
This programme offers an opportunity for 6-8 year olds to connect with peers and explore their own creativity.
Content will include:
- Games and challenges
- Drawing / Colouring / Painting
- Group collage
What materials will I need at home?
- Blank paper – white
- Blank paper – coloured (optional)
- Colouring utensils
- Cereal boxes / cardboard
- Toilet rolls
- Newspapers / Magazines
- Scissors (child friendly)
Register for Distance Creates… six week programme with Helium Arts’ Family Liaison, Maria Jervey at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 086 8389240.
Helium Arts’ Distance Creates Remote Creative Health Programme, Autumn 2020, is funded by the Arts Council of Ireland, Rethink Ireland, Creative Ireland, Limerick City & County Council and Limerick Culture & Arts Department.
About the Artist
Chelsea is Helium’s Artist based in Limerick. She is a visual artist interested in shared narratives and experiences. She often collaborates with other artists and communities on issued-based themes which affect the group, manifesting as multi-media works, participatory events, workshops, dialogues and collaborative performances in the context of society, education and cultural heritage. Chelsea is currently completing a Masters in Social Practice in the Creative Environment at Limerick School of Art and Design.